- Criminal Record Holding You Back? Learn How to Overcome These Obstacles
- Are adult criminal records ever automatically expunged or sealed?
- If there's a mistake on my criminal record, how do I correct it?
- Expunging or Sealing an Adult Criminal Record
- Expunging or Sealing Adult Criminal Records in Texas
Many adult criminal records may be sealed or expunged, which enables you to say "No" in many situations when you're asked about your criminal history.
NOLO Local Defense Lawyers
Enter your zip code to find local criminal defense lawyers.
Many states allow you to expunge, seal or otherwise "hide" or "destroy" your criminal record. Generally, if a criminal record is expunged or sealed, it's as though the crime never occurred and you can legally say (to a potential employer, for example) that you were never charged or convicted of a crime.
State laws vary tremendously as to which conviction and arrest records can be expunged. See the articles below for details on the rules in your state, and on how to begin the expungement process.
If you are interested in sealing a juvenile record, refer to our article, Expunging or Sealing a Juvenile Court Record.