Stun Gun Laws in Nebraska

Learn about stun gun laws and possession requirements in Nebraska.

A stun gun (popularly also known as a Taser, the main maker of stun guns) is a non-lethal weapon that is capable of temporarily immobilizing a person by inflicting an electrical charge.

This article describes Nebraska laws regarding who may not have a stun gun, and the circumstances or situations when carrying a stun gun is illegal in the state.

To learn more about how stun guns work, and how permitting laws vary by state, see States Requiring a Stun Gun Permit.

People Who May Not Carry a Stun Gun in Nebraska

In Nebraska, most people may purchase, possess (openly or concealed), or use a nonlethal stun gun for self-defense without obtaining a permit. However, cities and counties may have additional stun gun restrictions, so be sure to check with your local municipality for stun gun regulations in your area.

Situations or Circumstances Where Carrying a Stun Gun is Illegal

It is illegal to carry a concealed stun gun if it is intended to be used as an offensive, deadly weapon. Deadly weapons include any weapon that is capable of producing death or other serious physical injury. Violation of this law is a Class I misdemeanor.

(Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 28-109, 28-1202.)

Penalties for Stun Gun Carry Violations

It is a Class I misdemeanor to carry a concealed stun gun if it is intended to be used as a deadly weapon. Penalties include a fine of up to $1,000, up to one year in jail, or both. Subsequent violations are a Class IV felony, punishable by $10,000, up to five years in prison, or both.

(Neb. Rev. Stat. §§ 28-109, 28-1202, 28-106, 28-105.)

Getting Legal Help

If you have any questions about whether you are allowed to purchase, carry, or use a gun in Nebraska, or if you are facing charges for a stun gun violation, consult a qualified criminal defense lawyer.

Swipe to view more

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys