Expunging or Sealing Adult Criminal Records in Iowa

The options for expunging or sealing a criminal record in Iowa are limited. If you were convicted of a crime, your record may qualify for expungement only if:

  • the offense was an eligible alcohol-related offense, or
  • you obtained deferred judgment at the time of your conviction and successfully completed probation.

In addition, if your Iowa criminal record contains errors, you may request that it be corrected. Each of these situations is discussed below.

Alcohol-Related Offenses

If you were convicted of certain alcohol-related offenses -- for example, public drunkenness -- you may petition to have the related record expunged after two years have passed. Your criminal record must have been clean during the two year period, except for minor traffic violations. This rule does not apply to driving under the influence. (Iowa Code §§ 123.46 and 123.47.)

Deferred Judgment

The only other option for expunging your criminal record in Iowa is to obtain what is called “deferred judgment” at the time of your conviction. For most misdemeanor crimes and some felonies, the court can defer judgment and place a defendant on probation rather than imposing a sentence. If the defendant successfully completes probation, the defendant is discharged and no conviction is entered. The defendant may then petition to have the related record expunged -- that is, made inaccessible to the general public. (Iowa Code §§ 907.3 and 907.9.)

Correcting Your Criminal Record

If your Iowa criminal record contains errors, you can request to have it corrected by contacting the Division of Criminal Investigation. To learn more, read the DCI’s online FAQ.

Getting Legal Help

If you have further questions about cleaning up your criminal record in Iowa, you should contact a qualified criminal law attorney. A good lawyer can assess your personal circumstances and guide you each step of the way.

Swipe to view more

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys