Vermont Statutory Rape Laws

Statutes governing Vermont's age of consent, associated criminal charges, available defenses, and penalties for conviction.

In Vermont, it is illegal for an adult (someone 18 or older) to have sex with a minor (someone 16 or younger), even if the sex is consensual. Those who break the law have committed statutory rape.

Statutory rape laws are premised on the assumption that minors are incapable of giving informed consent to sexual activities. Their incapacity is written into the statute—hence the term, “statutory” rape. The age of consent can vary among states, and some states differentiate between consensual sex between minors who are close in age (for example, two teenagers of the same age), as opposed to sex between a minor and a much older adult.

Though statutory rape does not require that the prosecutor prove an assault, it is still rape. Of course, rape that does involve force or an assault is illegal in Vermont and prosecuted as forcible rape (see  Vermont Sexual Battery Laws). Assaults of a sexual nature may also be charged under the state’s assault and battery laws (to learn more, see  Aggravated Assault Laws in Vermont) and child enticement and abuse laws (see  Child Enticement Laws in Vermont).

Statutory Rape and Penalties

Statutory rape is prosecuted under Vermont’s sexual assault and lewd and lascivious conduct laws. Penalties depend on the ages of the defendant and victim, and the conduct that occurred, as described below.

Aggravated sexual assault  includes a sexual act (contact oral-genital or genital contact; or penetration, however slight) between with a minor who is younger than 13 years old when the defendant was at least 18 years old. Penalties include a fine of up to $50,000, at least ten years (and up to life) in prison, or both.

Sexual assault  includes a sexual act with a minor who is younger than 16 years old.  Penalties include a fine of up to $10,000, up to 20 years in prison, or both.

Lewd or lascivious conduct with a child  includes an act with a child undertaken for the purpose of arousing or satisfying sexual passion or desire. A first conviction incurs a fine of up to $5,000, at least two (and up to 15) years in prison, or both. More serious fines and prison terms apply to second and subsequent convictions.

(13 Vt. Stat. Ann. § 3253, 3252, & 2602.)

Sex Offender Registration

State law requires, in addition to the applicable fines and prison time, that people convicted of certain sexual crimes (including certain instances of statutory rape) must register as sex offenders.

Defenses to a Statutory Rape Charge

Defendants charged with statutory rape have the usual defenses available to all criminal defendants, such as “Someone else committed this crime, ” or “The alleged conduct did not occur.”

Statutory rape marital exception

Vermont has a marital exemption for statutory rape that allows consensual sex between a married minor and that minor’s spouse, even though their ages would prohibit it if they were not married.

Minors are legally incapable of giving consent to having sex; so for example, if Jen, a 15 year old willingly has sex with Tony, her 23 year old boyfriend, Tony can be charged with rape, since Jen is not legally capable of giving consent in the first place.

But if Jen and Tony are  married, Tony need not fear criminal charges for having consensual sex with Jen. This is because Vermont has a marital exemption to the state’s statutory rape laws.

However, if Tony were to rape Jen (force her to have sex against her will), he would have no protection under the law even if the two are married. For more information about rape between spouses, see  Vermont Marital Rape Laws.

“Romeo and Juliet” exception

Named after Shakespeare’s young lovers, “Romeo and Juliet” exceptions are intended to prevent serious criminal charges against teenagers who engage in consensual sex with others close to their own age.

In Vermont, there is a Romeo and Juliet exemption for consensual sexual acts between a minor who is at least 15 years old and a defendant who is younger than 19.

Mistake of age

Defendants accused of statutory rape often claim that they had no reason to know that their partner was underage. They may argue that the victim herself represented that she was older than she was, and that a reasonable person would have believed her. But as in most states, in Vermont even a reasonable mistake of age is not a defense to statutory rape.

See a Lawyer

If you are facing a statutory rape charge, consider consulting with an experienced criminal defense attorney who regularly practices in your area. A lawyer can evaluate the strength of the prosecution’s case against you and help develop any defenses that might apply to your case.

A lawyer can often negotiate with the prosecutor for a lesser charge or a reduction in penalties (such as, for example, probation instead of prison time); and will know how prosecutors and judges typically handle cases like yours.

Help for Sexual Assault and Rape Survivors

If you are a victim of sexual assault or rape, contact  Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)  for online help and local resources.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find criminal defense lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Defense attorney

We've helped 95 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you