Nebraska Alcohol Laws for Underage Minors

Caught drinking alcohol as an underage minor in Nebraska? Find out what penalties are possible.

By , Attorney · Mitchell Hamline School of Law
Updated August 23, 2022

Underage drinking offenses in Nebraska can result in fines, jail time, and loss of driving privileges.

What Is the Legal Drinking Age in Nebraska?

In Nebraska, the legal drinking is 21. Anyone younger than 21 commits a crime by possessing, consuming, purchasing, or attempting to purchase alcohol.

Nebraska law, however, provides exceptions for underage consumption and possession when:

  • it's part of a religious ceremony, or
  • the person drinks in their own home or their parent's home (must be their permanent residence).

What Are the Penalties for Underage Drinking in Nebraska?

Nebraska law penalizes underage drinking violations differently based on the violator's age.

Penalties for Violators Older Than 18

A person who's older than 18 commits a class III misdemeanor for underage consumption or possession and faces up to three months of jail time and a $500 fine.

Penalties for Violators 18 or Younger

Violators who are 18 or younger also commit a class III misdemeanor. As part of their sentence, the judge must require attendance in an alcohol education class. And on top of these penalties, the judge may impose the following penalties based on the person's number of prior convictions for the same offense.

First offense. A judge can impound a first-time offender's driver's license or permit for 30 days.

Second offense. A judge can impound a second-time offender's driver's license or permit for 90 days and order 20 to 40 hours of community service.

Third or subsequent offense. For a third or subsequent offense, a judge can impound the offender's driver's license or permit for 12 months, order at least 60 hours of community service, and require an alcohol assessment by a licensed counselor.

If the person doesn't have a driver's license, the person will not be permitted to get a license or permit during the applicable impoundment period.

911 or Good Samaritan Immunity

A person who calls 911 in response to a possible alcohol overdose for oneself or another person can't be prosecuted for underage drinking if they make the call when the emergency becomes clear, remain on the scene, and cooperate with emergency authorities.

What Are the Penalties for an Underage Person Attempting to Buy or Buying Alcohol?

An underage person who purchases or attempts to purchase alcohol commits a class III misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $500 fine. Using a fake ID, including someone else's ID, can result in additional misdemeanor charges.

If you lend your ID to an underage person, you can also face class III misdemeanor charges.

What Are the Penalties for Procuring Alcohol for a Minor?

Nebraska's liquor laws make it illegal for anyone to sell, give, or furnish alcohol to any person younger than 21 years of age. The penalty for this offense is a class I misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

However, if the underage person engages in any activity that results in serious bodily injury or death to another and the harm can be attributed to the alcohol, the person supplying the alcohol faces a class IIIA felony, punishable by a minimum of 30 days and up to 3 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Talk to a Lawyer

If you're facing charges for underage drinking or attempting to buy alcohol, you may want to talk to a criminal defense lawyer. If you end up with DUI charges, you'll definitely want the help of an attorney.

(Neb. Stat. §§ 53-180, 53-180.01. 53-180.02, 53-180.05, 53-181, 60-491, 60-4,111 (2022).)

Talk to a Defense attorney
We've helped 95 clients find attorneys today.
There was a problem with the submission. Please refresh the page and try again
Full Name is required
Email is required
Please enter a valid Email
Phone Number is required
Please enter a valid Phone Number
Zip Code is required
Please add a valid Zip Code
Please enter a valid Case Description
Description is required

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you