Understanding Vermont's Relief From Domestic Abuse Orders

Learn about relief from abuse orders for victims of domestic violence, including who can get one, how to get one, and what happens if someone requested one against you.

By , Attorney
Updated March 09, 2022

In Vermont, victims of domestic abuse can go to civil court and ask for a relief from abuse order. A relief from abuse (RFA) order directs the alleged abuser not to harm or have any contact with the victim. Even though it's a civil order, violating the order can result in criminal penalties.

Who Can Get a Relief From Abuse Order?

Under Vermont's Abuse Prevention Act, any victim of domestic abuse may file for an RFA order. If the victim is a child younger than 16, an adult can file on the child's behalf. A child of any age who's in a dating relationship, however, can file on their own behalf against the dating partner.

Domestic abuse includes any of the following acts between family or household members:

  • causing or attempting to cause physical injury
  • placing the person in fear of imminent serious harm, or
  • committing child abuse, stalking, or sexual abuse.

Family and household members include people who:

  • are related, whether by blood, marriage, or adoption
  • live together or have lived together
  • have children together
  • are or were involved in a sexual relationship, or
  • are dating or have dated.

Filing or Answering a Complaint for Relief From Abuse Order

A victim (the plaintiff) must fill out paperwork (provided by the court) outlining the allegations of domestic abuse committed by the family or household member (the defendant). This complaint needs to provide certain information for the court to grant the order, including identifying specific acts of abuse and the required relationship.

Where Is the Complaint Filed?

A complaint for relief from abuse can be filed in the county where the plaintiff currently lives or lived when the abuse happened. For those who participate in the Safe-at-Home address confidentiality program, filing the complaint in Washington County is also an option. Plaintiffs can file complaints telephonically or electronically, as needed, for emergency relief after regular court hours or on weekends or holidays.

What Does It Cost to File an RFA Order?

Nothing. Vermont law does not require plaintiffs to pay court costs or filing fees to ask for an RFA order. The court provides the forms for the parties to fill out. A plaintiff doesn't need an attorney to get the RFA order (but can have one).

What Is an Ex Parte or Temporary RFA Order?

Victims who believe they're in immediate danger can request emergency relief in the form of a temporary or ex parte order. Ex parte—pronounced ex par-tee—means the court is only hearing the victim's side of the story at this point.

Based on the complaint, the judge can order temporary relief for the victim when the judge believes the defendant abused the victim and danger of further abuse continues to exist prior to holding a full hearing. In the full hearing, the defendant has an opportunity to tell their side of the story. (More on this hearing below.)

Serving and Notifying the Defendant

Typically, a law enforcement officer or process server will deliver the papers to the defendant. The complaint will list the allegations and let the defendant know when the full court hearing will be. The defendant may file an answer, attend the hearing set on the matter, or do neither or both. Normally, the full hearing will be held within 14 days.

If the court issued an ex parte order, the defendant should take it seriously, as a violation can mean criminal charges.

Hearing on the Final RFA Order

The court will hold a hearing on the complaint unless the plaintiff requests dismissal of the case. Although the defendant isn't required to respond to the complaint, the judge can (and likely will) grant the order if the defendant doesn't show. At the hearing, the plaintiff must prove the allegations by a preponderance of the evidence (a standard of "more likely than not"). The defendant also will have a chance to give evidence and testimony as to why the judge should deny the complaint.

What Does a Relief From Abuse Order Do? For How Long?

The type of order—temporary (ex parte) or final—will determine its duration and terms (also called relief).

Temporary RFA Order

The ex parte or temporary order provides whatever emergency relief the judge deems necessary to protect the plaintiff or a minor in the household from further acts of domestic abuse. Oftentimes, temporary orders prohibit the defendant from contacting or going near the plaintiff, give the plaintiff temporary custodial rights to the children and sole possession of the residence, and prohibit the defendant from harming any pets. The order remains in effect until the court dismisses the case or holds a full hearing on the original complaint, whichever occurs first.

Final RFA Order

The final RFA order remains in effect for a fixed period of time. Most orders expire after a year but can be extended, if necessary, to protect the plaintiff or children from abuse. If the court finds that the defendant committed domestic abuse and danger for further abuse exists or that the defendant is currently incarcerated due to a serious violent crime conviction, the court may issue the RFA order.

The final order can offer more relief than the temporary order. It can:

  • prohibit the defendant from abusing, contacting, or coming near the plaintiff or children
  • order the defendant to leave a shared residence
  • award temporary custody of the children and pets
  • award spousal or child support, including living expenses, to the plaintiff, and
  • order the defendant to surrender firearms to law enforcement and prohibit possession of firearms while the order is in effect.

What Are the Penalties for Violating a Relief From Abuse Order?

Even though an RFA order is a civil court order, violating the order can result in both civil and criminal penalties. The court can also a defendant to participate in counseling.

Arrest. If a police officer has probable cause to believe (a reasonable belief) that a person committed assault against a family or household member, the officer can arrest the offender without a warrant.

Misdemeanor. Violating an RFA order constitutes a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year of incarceration and a $5,000 fine.

Felony. If the defendant has a previous conviction for violating an RFA order or for domestic assault, the penalty increases to a felony. The repeat offender faces up to three years in prison and a $25,000 fine.

Contempt. The prosecutor may also charge violating an RFA order as a criminal contempt (violating a court's order), which carries up to six months in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Other crimes. Other acts of further violence, such as stalking or domestic assault, can result in additional criminal charges.

(Vt. Stat. tit. 13, § 1030, tit. 15, §§ 1101 to 1106, 1108; Vt. Rules of Crim. Proc., Rule 3; 18 U.S.C. § 922 (2021).)

Getting Help

If you received notice of an RFA complaint or order against you, contact an attorney who works in family law or criminal defense. For criminal charges stemming from a violation, talk to a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. An experienced attorney can review the unique circumstances of your case and discuss all potential options.

If you're a victim seeking assistance in filing for an RFA order, contact a lawyer who specializes in family law or a victim's advocate. You can also check out Nolo's Resources for Victims of Crime.

The Vermont Judiciary provides free forms and instructions online for relief from abuse orders.

Talk to a Defense attorney
We've helped 95 clients find attorneys today.
There was a problem with the submission. Please refresh the page and try again
Full Name is required
Email is required
Please enter a valid Email
Phone Number is required
Please enter a valid Phone Number
Zip Code is required
Please add a valid Zip Code
Please enter a valid Case Description
Description is required

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you