Kansas Minor in Possession (MIP) of Alcohol Laws

Kansas has minor in possession (MIP) and minor in consumption (MIC) laws to discourage and punish the possession and consumption of alcohol by people under the age of 21.

Drinking and Possessing Alcohol

In Kansas, if you are under age 21, you may not consume, possess, purchase, or attempt to purchase alcohol. Penalties for violating this law include:

  • Minors 18 to 21—a Class C misdemeanor offense with a minimum fine of $200
  • Minors Under 18—classification as a juvenile offender and a fine of $200-$500.

In addition the court may order your to perform 40 hours of community service and may also require you to attend and complete a certified alcohol or drug educational program that deals with the effects of alcohol or other chemical substances.

Upon conviction, the court will also order the division of vehicles to suspend your driving privileges.

  • First Conviction— 30 day suspension
  • Second Conviction— 90 day suspension
  • Third or Subsequent Conviction—One year suspension

This law does not apply to minors consuming or possessing cereal malt beverages when permitted and supervised by his or her parent or legal guardian.

Kansas Statutes Annotated Section 41-727

Minors Using Fake ID to Obtain Alcohol

If you are under the age of 21, it is illegal to display or possess false identification to purchase alcohol. It is also illegal to lend identification to a minor for the purpose of purchasing alcohol. Violating these terms is a Class B misdemeanor and penalties for first-time offenders include:

  • at least 100 hours of community service, and
  • a $200-$500 fine.

This applies to any type of identification whether it was issued in Kansas or any other state.

Kansas Statutes Annotated 8-1327

Allowing Minors to Consume Alcohol

It is illegal for anyone to intentionally or recklessly permit minors to consume alcoholic beverages on their property. Violating this law is a Class A misdemeanor with a penalty of $1,000. In addition, the court may order you to perform community service at an alcohol treatment facility as a condition of probation.

Kansas Statute Annotated 21-3610c

Furnishing Alcohol to Minors

It is against the law to directly or indirectly furnish alcohol to, sell alcohol to, or buy alcohol for a person under the age of 21 . Violating this law is a Class B misdemeanor with a fine of $200 - $1000 and jail time of up to six months.

This section does not apply to parents or legal guardians who furnish a cereal malt beverage to their child or ward upon permission and supervision of the parent or guardian.

Kansas Statutes Annotated 21-3610

To learn more about the MIP laws in Kansas, read Chapter 41 entitled, "Intoxicating Liquors and Beverages". If you are facing MIP charges in Kansas, contact a criminal defense lawyer for legal advice.

Talk to a Lawyer

Start here to find criminal defense lawyers near you.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you

Talk to a Defense attorney

We've helped 95 clients find attorneys today.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you