In Missouri, adults may purchase and openly carry firearms without a permit. However, you must obtain a concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed gun on (or near) your body, unless you are on your own property. (Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030.4.)
For more information, see Open and Concealed Gun Carrying Laws in Missouri.
How to Obtain a Concealed Handgun Permit in Missouri
To obtain a concealed handgun permit, you must apply at the police or sheriff’s office in the county where you reside. To qualify, you must be:
- at least 19 years old (18 if a member of the armed forces)
- a United States citizen
- a Missouri resident (or armed forces member or dependent stationed in Missouri), and
- demonstrate knowledge of firearms safety.
Additionally you must NOT:
- be a convicted felon
- have been convicted of certain specified misdemeanors (including certain convictions having to do with driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol within the last five years)
- be a fugitive from justice
- have been dishonorably discharged from the armed services
- have been engaged in documented patterns of behavior that leads the licensing authority to believe that you would be a danger to yourself or others if you were to possess a firearm
- have been adjudicated as mentally incompetent in the last five years or committed ot a mental health facility
- have a protection or restraining order against you, and
- be otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law.
(Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.101.2.)
Does Missouri Recognize Concealed Handgun Permits From Other States?
Yes. Missouri recognizes both resident and non-resident valid concealed handgun permits from other states. People who carry a concealed weapon in Missouri with a valid out-of-state license must abide by all handgun and concealed carry laws in Missouri. (Mo. Rev. Stat. § 571.030.4.)
Getting Legal Help
If you have any questions about whether you are allowed to carry a gun in Missouri, or if you are facing charges for a gun permit violation, consult a qualified criminal defense lawyer.