Expunging or Sealing Adult Criminal Records in Hawaii

In Hawaii, your criminal record can be expunged -- that is, sealed or erased -- under the circumstances described below. If your criminal record is expunged, it is confidential and will no longer be available to the public. In most cases, you will not have to disclose that you were arrested or charged with a crime. (Hawaii Revised Statutes § 831.32.)

Expungement If You Were Not Convicted of a Crime

If you were arrested -- or arrested and charged -- but not convicted of a crime, you can ask to have your criminal history record expunged.  An expungement order will not be granted for:

  • misdemeanor or felony arrests where there was no conviction because of bail forfeiture
  • a period of five years after an arrest or charge for a petty misdemeanor or violation where conviction was not obtained because of bail forfeiture
  • a period of one year after dismissal in the case of a deferred acceptance of a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, or
  • acquittal due to certain mental or physical defects.

For more details, carefully read Section 831-3.2 of the Hawaii Revised Statutes or consult a criminal law attorney.

Expungement If You Were Convicted of a Crime

First-time drug convictions. In some cases, expungement may be available for first-time, nonviolent drug offenders who have completed probation and treatment. (Hawaii Revised Statutes § 706.622.5.)

Other convictions. Expungement is not generally available for other convictions in Hawaii.

How to File

You can find the Application for Expungement of Arrest Records by visiting the website of the Hawaii Attorney General.  

Getting Legal Help

Cleaning up a criminal record can be complicated. To learn more about expunging criminal records in Hawaii -- and to discuss your personal circumstances -- you should contact a qualified criminal law attorney. A good lawyer can guide you each step of the way.

Swipe to view more

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys